Sunday, March 23, 2008

Pitiful

Now Mr. Rantzypants says he was never my friend. Interesting. I suppose that's why he introduced me to his wife, right, because we weren't friends? And why we played so hard together, right, because we weren't friends? And why he was constantly telling me about his most important relationships, right, because we weren't friends?

And why would he tell me about the pain and disappointment he experienced about the behavior of his former lover, the father of his precious Birds, if he didn't think of me as a friend?

Or tell me about ...
  • the intimate details of his personal life

  • the details of his medical conditions

  • about his boss and his work life

  • about his daily pain levels

Those are things you'd talk about with someone who wasn't your friend, right?

Let's see. What else. Oh yes, here are some other topics of conversation between us. They clearly indicate that Rantz never thought of me as his friend:
  • his need to leave work, or stay home from work, or go on vacation

  • his efforts to get promoted

  • his beliefs

  • his home life, his apartment, his proximity to the beach

  • his plans to move in a year or so

  • where he had lived in the past, where he came from

  • his former lovers

  • his first, middle, and last names, his heritage, etc.

  • who he found attractive/ who he'd "do"

Yeah, it sounds like he never thought of me as his friend.

Especially when you consider how often he asked me about how I was feeling physically, and how often I asked him the same. Chronic pain is an experience we have in common. But again, that kind of frequent checking in with each other certainly doesn't connote friendship, does it?

Right.

You engage in intimate sharing of private information and feelings with someone, but you don't consider her to be a friend. OK. Some times when it looks like a friend and acts like a friend it turns out not to be a friend.

I was mistaken, deluded, right?

Pitiful.

No comments: